Friday, July 24, 2009

Penny Cakes


Today I sampled cupcakes at the new cake shop in Gilroy called Penny Cakes. (www.pennycakes.net)
I got 4 cupcakes and had a tasting at work today.
Vanilla w/ Chocolate Ganache - cake was dry and I was not a fan of the Ganache (I think these were a little old)
Vanilla w/ Butter Cream Caramel frosting - cake was good, I am not a fan of butter cream, so I did not like the frosting. The frosting tasted more like vanilla and sugar than caramel, it could have used more flavor.
Chocolate Fudge w/ Chocolate Frosting - cake was good, but again the frosting was butter cream, so I did not love it.
(This would be a great place for my cousins Jim and Traci as they LOVE butter cream.)
The final flavor was Lemon w/ Lemon filling and frosting - This was by far the BEST one. The cake was moist with a lemony center and the frosting had a yummy lemon taste other than just sugar.

I am not sure I would go out of my way to visit this cupcake shop. And, the lemon one was the only one I thought was worth the calories. (Although, I ate my share of all the other ones.) The store itself is VERY cute, Melissa described it as "shabby chic" and I would have to agree. If I lived in Gilroy I think I would try ordering a custom cake, just to see what other yummy things they offer. But, in the future I will stick to my sprinkles cupcakes!

1 comment:

  1. Um, so if I do come over tomorrow (depending on Luke) does this mean we won't be taking a ride to Sprinkles and eating cupcakes at your house, since you did so today???

    I was having visions of trying different cupcakes since our conversation yesterday. Of course while eating a few chips to absorb all the possible intake of sugar.

    ReplyDelete